It’s true that everyone occasionally makes mistakes, although mistakes in the medical field can cause true harm and suffering. Medical malpractice can involve nearly any type of health care professional, including dentists, hospital staff, doctors, nurses, technicians and even the hospital itself. A malpractice case involves a professional deviating from the established standard of care in your area and inflicting real harm or injuries upon you as a patient. These mistakes account for nearly one million injuries annually and at least 100,000 deaths. It’s important to speak with a malpractice lawyer Miami firm as soon as possible to protect your rights and get the compensation you deserve.
Malpractice can involve any type of mistake in medicine that hurts you, your child or a loved one. At Leighton Law, we have experience trying all types of malpractice claims, including:
• Prescription drug errors such as the wrong type of medicine, a medication that interferes with other prescribed drugs or medications prescribed to someone who is allergic,
• Birth trauma and obstetric malpractice that causes harm to the child,
• Gastric bypass errors,
• Surgical mistakes,
• Wrong site surgery,
• Failure to diagnose, misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis that results in harm when the illness or medical problem worsens without treatment.
At Leighton Law our attorneys are experienced in obtaining the most significant recoveries for victims of medical malpractice. Mr. Leighton has obtained the largest verdict in the history of Seminole County, Florida in a medical malpractice case (source: Orlando Business Journal, 6/20/2005), with a verdict in excess of $24 million. He has obtained settlements in medical malpractice cases of $11.5 million, $9 million, $3.75 million, $3 million, $2.75 million, $1.5 million and many others over a million dollars.
He is a national speaker on medical malpractice and routinely teaches other trial lawyers around the country about strategies and trial techniques in the field. He recently authored an article on how serious the medical malpractice epidemic has become, “Why You Are Safer on the Highways Than in A Hospital,” South Florida Legal Guide, January 2014.
Contact Our Medical Malpractice Attorney Miami Firm to Protect Your Rights
If you or a loved one has been hurt during medical treatment, you have rights and options available to you. The medical malpractice experts at Leighton Law will hear your story and tell you if you have a case, which must meet these requirements:
• An established relationship. There must be an existing doctor-patient relationship for a case, which means you can’t be harmed by following advice you took at a party from a doctor, for example.
• The doctor or professional acted with negligence. We will help you prove that the health care professional deviated from the standard of care in a way that was not competent. This is central to proving your case.
• The doctor’s negligence led to harm or injury. We must also show that the doctor’s actions in inaction directly led to your injury or pain and suffering. If necessary, we will acquire a medical expert to testify that the doctor’s actions directly caused your harm.
• This harm led to damages. The final point to prove a case is the damage caused by the health care professional led to specific damages. These damages can include additional medical costs, pain and suffering, mental anguish, lost wages and even reduced earning capacity, depending on the severity of your injury.
If you received treatment from a health care provider who deviated from the standard of care and caused you harm, the experienced malpractice attorneys at Leighton Law are ready to help you. We have decades of experience helping injured patients like yourself receive the compensation you deserve after these devastating mistakes.